Publications and Papers
- 1991. eRevitalisation of European Integration in the 1980s.f M. A. in Law, Hokkaido University, 1991 (Japanese), A4, 112p.
- 1992a. eWhat is 'Delorism'?: Convictions of Jacques Delors.f M. A. in European Studies, Catholic University of Leuven, 1992, A4, 75p.
- 1992b. eThe Principle of Subsidiarity: Its Origin, Historical Development and Its Role in the European Community.f M. A. in European Studies, Catholic University of Leuven, 1992, A4, 99p.
- 1993a. eL'Application du Principe de Subsidiarité [Implementation of the Principle of Subsidiarity].f Crocodile (Bruxelles, mai-juin 1993).
- 1993b. eShaping Factors of Japan 2020.f Report Submitted to the Forward Studies Unit, European Commission, July 1993, A4, 30p.
- 1993c. eQu'est ce que le delorism?: Convictions de Jacques Delors.h Cellule de Prospective, Commission européenne, N. 862/93, 14 avril 1993.
- 1994a. eThe Principle of Subsidiarity: From Johannes Althusius to Jacques Delors.f Hokkaido Law Review, 43/6 (March 1994): 553-652.
- 1994b. ePolitical Leadership of European Integration: Power and Behaviour of Jacques Delors.f In T. Sasaki & K. Nakamura eds., De-mythologisation of European Integration: Political Economy of Post-Maastricht Europe (Kyoto: Minerva Shobo, 1994): 153-225. (Japanese).
- 1995a. eBook Review: Subsidiarity in the European Community, edited by A. Duff (London: Federal Trust, 1993),f Journal of Common Market Studies 33/4 (December 1995): 635.
- 1995b. eLa Presidenza della Commissione Europea. Vincoli e Risorse [The Presidency of the European Commission: Constraints and Resources].f Rivista Italiana di Scienza Politica XXV/3 (Dicembre 1995): 441-86.
- 1996. Political Leadership in the European Community: The Role of the Commission Presidency under Jacques Delors 1985-1995, Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, Faculty of Social Studies, University of Oxford, September 1996, A4, 336p,
- 1997. eEuropean Integration in Wonderland: Between Democracy and Technocracy,f Sekai (a leading monthly magazine entitled The World), Vol. 642 (November 1997): 308-18. (Japanese).
- 1998a. eInstitutional Leadership of Jacques Delors: A Half-Success in Comitology Reforms.f Hokkaido Law Review, 48/5 (1998): 332-50.
- 1998b. eThe Art of Retreat: A Use of Subsidiarity by Jacques Delors.f Hokkaido Law Review, 48/6 (1998): 378-94.
- 1998c. eQuelques Commentaires sur la Colloque gUne Etude comparative sur la Décentralisation - les cas du Japon et de la Franceh.f Hokkaido Law Review, 48/6 (1998): 396-9.
- 1999a. The Presidency of the European Commission under Jacques Delors: The Politics of Shared Leadership (Basingstoke & New York: Macmillan/St Martinfs Press, 1999).
- 1999b. eTowards the Multi-level Political System: Europe after Economic and Monetary Union,f Sekai (Special Issue on Europe), Vol. 658 (February 1999): 96-107. (Japanese).
- 1999c. eBook Review: Democracy in the European Union, by Dimitris N. Chryssochoou (London: Tauris Academic Studies, 1998),f International Affairs, 75/3 (July 1999): 686.
- 1999d. eRegional Integration: The Case of Europe,f AeraMook: Understanding International Relations, Asahi-Shimbun, Extra Report & Analysis Special No. 50 (1999), pp. 106-110 (Japanese).
- 2000. eThe Origins, Ideas and Implications of the Principle of Subsidiarity,f in Vinko Kandzija et al., eds., Economic System of European Union and Adjustment of the Republic of Croatia (Rijeka, Croatia: University of Rijeka, 2000): 553-66.
- 2001a. eSubsidiarity & its Enmies: To What Extent Is Sovereignty Contested in the Mixed Commonwealth of Europe?f EUI Working Paper, RSC No. 2001/24 (European University Institute, Robert Schuman Centre, European Forum Series): 1-42.
- 2001b. eBook Review: Philippe Schmitter, How to Democratize the European Unionc and Why Bother? (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2000),f International Affairs, 77/3 (July 2001): 729-730.
- 2001c. (Eds., with Jiro Yamaguchi, Mikine Yamazaki) Proceedings of the Conference: gLocal Governance in a Global Era - In Search of Concrete Visions for a Multi-Level Governanceh (Sapporo: Academia Juris, 2001), 208p.
- 2001d. eIntroduction,f & eSubsidiarity: A Matter of Political Vocabulary in a Fragmented World.f Proceedings of the Conference: gLocal Governance in a Global Era - In Search of Concrete Visions for a Multi-Level Governanceh (Sapporo: Academia Juris, 2001): vii-x, 89-107.
- 2002a. eLegitimation Problems in Post-Nationalism,f in Yasuo Baba ed., Three Democracies: Liberal, Social and Christian (Nenpo Sejigaku 2001: Annual Review of the Japanese Political Science Association) (Tokyo: Iwanami, 2002): 123-42. (Japanese).
- 2002b. eEuropean Integration as a Political Thought: A Sceptical View on gMethodological Nationalismh.f Soubun No. 439 (January-February 2002): 1-5. (Japanese).
- 2002c. eThe Security Foundations of Economic Integration: A Comparison between East Asia and Western Europe,f Christopher M. Dent & David W. F. Huang eds., Northeast Asian Regionalism: Learning from the European Experience (London: RoutledgeCurzon, 2002): 226-42.
- 2002d. eWelcome to a gPlural and Divisible Republich: Sovereignty and Diplomacy in the European Union,f Gaikou Forum Vol. 168 (Special Issue on Europe) (July 2002): 36-41. (Japanese).
- 2003a. ePost-Sovereign Political Thought: The Potential of the Principle of Subsidiarity in the European Union,f Shisou (Thought) No. 945 (Special Issue on Empire, War and Peace) (January 2003): 207-28. (Japanese).
- 2003b. (Eds., with Jiro Yamaguchi, Mikine Yamazaki) Local Governance in a Global Era (Tokyo: Iwanami, 2003). (Japanese).
- 2003c. eIntroduction,f Local Governance in a Global Era (Tokyo: Iwanami, 2003): 1-8. (Japanese).
- 2003d. eSubsidiarity in Japan: Of Conceptualisation of Multi-Level Governance,f Local Governance in a Global Era (Tokyo: Iwanami, 2003): 251-74. (Japanese).
- 2004a. eThe Potential of the Sovereign State and International Society: Review Article on Peace-Building & the Rule of Law by Hideaki Shinoda,f Soubun No. 461 (Jan-Feb. 2004): 20-5. (Japanese).
- 2004b. (Ed. With Shuichi Kawashima) Historical Materials of European Integration History (Asahi Publishing Centre, 2004).
- 2004c. ePolitical Dynamism of an Enlarged Europe,f Kokusai Mondai (International Affairs), Japan Institute for International Affairs, No. 537 (December 2004): 8-22. (Japanese).
- 2005a. eHow can Communicable Diseases Be a Problematic of International Politics?f Kagaku (Science), Iwanami, Vol. 75 No. 1 (January 2005): 11-2. (Japanese).
- 2005b. eOf the State of European Union Studies in Japan: Beyond Methodological Nationalism,f Tamio Nakamura ed., New Horizon of EU Studies (Kyoto: Minerva, 2005): 1-27. (Japanese).
- 2005c. eSovereignty, Empire/Imperialism, and Democracy: The Scope of <Empire>,f in Osamu Nishitani et al., An Asymmetricalising World: The Scope of <Empire> (Tokyo: Ibunsha, 2005): 53-84. (Japanese).
- 2005d. (Ed.) Democracy in the Age of Empire and Globalisation (Sapporo: Academia Juris, Hokkaido University, 2005). (Japanese).
- 2005e. eThe Rejection of the Constitutional Treaty of Europe in French and Dutch Referendums,f Seikatsu Keizai Seisaku No. 104 (September 2005): 2-8. (Japanese).
- 2007a. (forthcoming). (Co-ed. with Hideaki Shiroyama, Yuji Ishida) Peace-Building from the Perspectives of the Post-Conflict Countries: The Roles and Tasks of International Criminal Justice (Tokyo: Toshindo, 2007). (Japanese)
- 2007b. (forthcoming). (Ed.) History of European Integration (Nagoya: Nagoya UP, 2007). (Japanese)
- 2007c. (Ed.) The Original Texts in History of European Integration (Nagoya: Nagoya UP, 2007). (Japanese)
- 1991. 'The Global Context of Democratization.' Faculty of Social Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, 20 November 1991.
- 1993. 'A History of the Idea of Subsidiarity,' Conference on the Nordic Model and Subsidiarity (organised by the Swedish/Finish municipalities and regions), Brussels, 1 June 1993.
- 1995. Comments: eMonetary Union - Economic Necessity or Political Project?f The St Antonyfs College Seminar, Oxford, 15 February 1995.
- 1996. 'Political Leadership in the European Community: The Case of Commission President Jacques Delors,' Department of Politics, Faculty of Law, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 19 April 1996 (Japanese).
- 1997. 'Quelques commentaires sur une colloque "Une Etude comparative sur la d?centralisation - les cas du Japon et de la France".' Facult? de Droit, Universit? de Hokkaido, Sapporo, 26 juillet 1997.
- 1998a. 'Issues on the Security in East Asia.' Workshop on East Asian Security,' Department of Politics, Faculty of Law, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 1 May 1998.
- 1998b. Comment: Minoru Takabatake, "An examination of the Donoughmore Constitutional Reform," Workshop on Democracy and Culture in Contemporary Asian Society, Faculty of Literature, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 15 November 1998 (Japanese).
- 1998c. 'A Post-national Political Thought: The Potential of Subsidiarity as a Constitutional Principle of the European Union,' Society of Legal Studies, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 15 November 1998 (Japanese).
- 1999a. 'The Principle of Subsidiarity: The Origins, Ideas and Implications of the Principle of Subsidiarity,' at the Conference 'The European Union and Croatia', organised by the Universities of Rijeka and Trieste, Lovran, Croatia, 22-23 April 1999.
- 1999b. eSubsidiarity and its Enemies: On a Post-National Constitutional Principle of the European Union,f paper presented at the conference: What Comes Next for Regionalism, University of Warwick, Warwick, 16-18 September 1999.
- 1999c. 'Can Subsidiarity Be a Constitutional Principle of the European Union?' Seminar on the Transformation of French Constitutional Structure under European Integration, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 6 August 1999.
- 1999d. 'Is It Possible to Democratise the European Union?' Workshop: "Reflecting on the European Union," organised by Sapporo Frenco-Japanese Society, Sapporo, 11 September 1999.
- 2000a. 'On the State of the EU Studies in Japan.' The Founding Seminar of the Study Group on Europe, Institute for Social Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, 5 February 2000.
- 2000b. 'Security Foundations for Economic Integration: A Comparison between East Asia and Western Europe,' given at the "Asian Integration Series Conference", Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, 11 April 2000.
- 2000c. 'Subsidiarity as the Principle Flanking Multilevel Political Space.' Workshop: "Decentralisation and Subsidiarity - Reflecting the Shape of This Country." The Waseda Urban Planning Forum, Waseda University, Tokyo, 22 April 2000.
- 2000d. 'Over the Polity of the European Union.' Luncheon Seminar on the Legal Dynamism, School of Law, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 19 July 2000.
- 2000d. Comments on Vivian Schmidtfs Article: eThe Effects of European Integration on National Forms of Governance: Reconsidering Practices and Reconceptualizing Democracyf. Conference on gDemocratic and Participatory Governance: From Citizens to eHoldersf?h Department of Political and Social Sciences, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 14-15 September 2000
- 2001a. 'Subsidiarity and Its Enemies: To What Extent Is Sovereignty Contested in the Mixed Commonwealth of Europe?' European Forum Seminar, Robert Schuman Centre, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 1 March 2001.
- 2001b. 'Subsidiarity: A Matter of Political Vocabulary in a Fragmented World,' given at the Conference: Local Governance in a Global Era, Advanced Institute for Law and Politics, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 7-8 December 2001.
- 2002a. eThe European Union, the State, and the World: Whither the State-System?f The Europe Seminar, Institute for Social Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, 26 October 2002.
- 2002b. Chair, Workshop: Thinking of the Korean Peninsula, Globalisation Studies Seminar, Advanced Institute for Law and Politics, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 20 November 2002.
- 2002c. Public Lecture: `Pros and Cons of Globalisationf, Shizuoka Eiwa University, Shizuoka, 20 December 2002.
- 2003a. Commentator: Governance in Your Backyards: Japan and the European Union, Institute for Oriental Studies, University of Tokyo, 22-23 January 2003.
- 2003b. eOn the Concept of Governance,f 1st Framework Seminar, Globalisation & Governance Project, Advanced Institute for Law and Politics, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 30 January 2003.
- 2003c. Chair, Public Symposium: eThe Coming War? ? The Iraq Crisis and Afterf (With Yoshitaka Sasaki, Keiko Sakai, Kenichi Nakamura), Globalisation Studies Seminar, Advanced Institute for Law and Politics, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 3 February 2003.
- 2003d. eComparative Regionalism of East Asia and Western Europe,f Asia-Europe Forum, Tokyo International Forum, Tokyo, 22 February 2003.
- 2003e. Comment on Tadayuki Hayashi, eThe Accession of Slovakia to the EU and the Transformation of its Domestic Politics, 1993-2002f, Slavic Research Centre, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 26 February 2003.
- 2003f. eWhether and How Can the European Union Be a Problematic of Political Thought?f Contemporary History Seminar (Chair: Kazuko Kibata), Aoyama Gakuin University, Tokyo, 12 April 2003.
- 2003g. eWhether and How Can the European Union Be a Problematic of Political Thought?f Modern Social History Seminar (Chair: Minoru Tanigawa), Kyoto University, 26 April 2003.
- 2003h. eSubsidiarity & its Enemies: To What Extent Is Sovereignty Contested in Europe? eSession of European Unification, 19th International Political Science Association World Congress, Durban, South Africa, 2 June 2003.
- 2004a. eThe Potential of the Subsidiarity Principle in Japan,f Association of Urban Planners, Tokyo, 15 March 2004.
- 2004b. Book Review: Shin Kawashima, The Formation of Modern Chinsese Diplomacy (Nagoya UP, 2004), Political Studies Seminar, Hokkaido University, 25 June 2004.
- 2004c. (With Jiro Yamaguchi) eGlobal Governance,f Founding Symposium of the Global Studies Network, University of Warwick, Warwick, 19 August 2004.
- 2004d. Comment: Session on Market & Politics, Papers given by Kazuto Suzuki & Yu Uchiyama, Annual Conference, Japan Association of Political Science, Sapporo University, 3 October 2004.
- 2004e. Chair & Organiser: The Politics of Global Standard-Setting, Japan Association of International Politics, Awaji Island, 15-17 October 2004.
- 2004f. Political Dynamism of an Enlarged Europe, Globalisation Studies Seminar, Hokkaido University, 5 Novermber 204.
- 2005a. eA Political Thought in the Age of Globalisation? - Subsidiarity in the Post-National Governance in Europe and Japan,f IPSA RC-17 Workshop on Convergence and Divergence under Globalization, organized by T. Pempel, J. Pierre and G. Peters, UCLA Berkeley, 26-27 February 2005.
- 2005b. Comment: Toru Yoshida, eThe U-Turn of Mitterrandfs Socialist Party Government ? From the Viewpoint of Intra-Party Politics,f Japan Society of Contemporary History, Aoyama Gakuin University, 16 April 2005.
- 2005c. eJapan, China, and the European Union: The Security-Economic Nexus in Regional Integration,f IPSA RC-3 (European Unification) Workshop, Chinese Academy of Social Science, Beijing, 5-6 May 2005.
- 2005d. eOf Methodological Nationalism,f Legal Formation Luncheon, School of Law, Hokkaido University, 18 May 2005.
- 2005e. eThe EU after the French/Dutch Rejections of the Constitutional Treaty: Or, Europe without Definition,f Emergency Meeting of the Crisis of Europe, University of Tokyo, 11 June 2005.
- 2005f. eThe EU after the French/Dutch Referendums: On Europe without Definition,f Asahi Shimbun Rondan Seminar, 21 June 2005.
- 2005g. Comment: Akio Kamiya, eGlobalisation & the Impoverishing Civil Societyf and Tsuyoshi Nakatani, eThe German Diplomacy in a Globalising Era,f Japan Association of Comparative Politics, Nagoya University, 25 June 2005.
- 2005h. eReview Meeting: An Outline of the European Integration History Project in Japan,f Joint Workshop on European Union History, Department of History & Civilisation, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 7-8 September 2005.
- 2005i. eAn enlarged Europe without the Constitution: The End of the gEU-NATO-CE Regimeh,f Japan Association of Political Science, Meiji University, 1 October 2005.
- 2005j. eWhy did France and the Netherlands Reject the Constitutional Treaty of the European Union? ? An Enlarged Europe After the Constitution,f Globalisation Studies Seminar, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 2 December 2005.
- 2006a. eSecurity-Economic Nexus in Regional Integration: A Comparison between East Asia and Western Europe,f Anglo-Japanese Academy Workshop, Warwick, 8 January 2006.
- 2006b. Co-Organiser and Opening Statements: International Symposium on Global Householding: A Comparison between High-Income Economies in East Asia, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 7-8 February 2006.
- 2006c. eLa pr?sidence de la Commission europ?enne: une analysis institutionnelle,f CEVIPOF, Sceinces-po, Paris, 15 mars 2006.
- 2006d. Chair & Organisation : International Standardisation of Information Infrustructure ? The Case of IC-tags,f Japan Association of Public Policy Studies, Meiji University, 11 June 2006.
- 2006e. eSecurity-Economic Nexus in Regional Integration: A Comparison between East Asia and Western Europe,f 20th IPSA World Congress, Fukuoka, 7 July 2006.
- 2006f. eThe Malaise and Resilience of Europe,f The DAAD Symposium: New Perspectives on the Future of Europe, The University of Tokyo, 12 October 2006.
- 2006g. Chair & Organisation: eGlobalism, Regionalism, Nationalism Revisited.f 50th Anniversary Conference of Japan Association of International Studies, Kisarazu, 14 October 2006.
- 2006h. The Birth of European Integration History & its Tasks,f Joint Seminar, European Integration History Project, Forum of European Integration History & CHEESE, Department of Economics, University of Tokyo, 9 December 2006.
- 2007a. Co-organisation, Comments, and Chair: eGlobalization & the Household in East Asia,f Pai Chai University, Seoul, South Korea, 2-3 February 2007.
- 2007b. eAmerican Empire Reconsidered,f Panelist at the Workshop: eIssues in American Studies Today: Historical and Comparative Perspectives,f Tokyo, 11-12 March 2007.